About William W. Sommers
William W. (Bill) Sommers has an extensive practice in construction and commercial law. He has been practicing in the area of construction law for almost 40 years. He was originally licensed in Texas in 1976 and is currently admitted in several Federal Courts and Districts, as well as the United States Claims Court since 1981. He has represented clients in complex multi-party construction disputes regarding non-performance or defective performance, construction delays and impact claims, design omissions or defects and other related matters. The range of his experience has been through all the levels of the construction industry, representing private owners, governmental entities, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, architects and engineers. He has handled disputes in both State and Federal Courts and before arbitration panels.
As part of his professional life he is a frequent speaker for not only the State Bar of Texas Construction Law Section, but other seminars and conferences, both public and private. He has been serving as a mediator and arbitrator for construction-related disputes for many years with a high degree of success in helping parties resolve their differences short of the courthouse or an arbitration panel.
Mr. Sommers has served as a director and officer of the Construction Law Section of the State Bar of Texas. While in such capacity, he has participated in the planning and formation of the annual seminar conference of the Construction law Section, which serves to educate other lawyers state wide. The intent of the Section is to promote the expansion of knowledge amongst the members of the State Bar of Texas who routinely or sporadically practice in this area of law.
- St Mary’s University School of Law, J.D. 1975
- Southwestern University, Georgetown, Texas, B.A. 1973
- The State of Texas, 1976
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- United States Claims Court
- Lawyer of the Year- Construction Law, Best Lawyers in America, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America- Construction Law, 2009 – 2022 (Woodward/White, Inc.)
- Thomson Reuters Super Lawyer- Construction Litigation, 2010 – 2021
- Scene in SA Best Lawyer, 2008 to 2010; 2018-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating Preeminent AV Rating
- State Bar of Texas since 1976
- Director of Construction Law Section, State Bar of Texas, 1989 to 1992
- Officer Construction Law Section State
- Chair 2014-2015
- Chair-elect 2013 to 2014
- Treasurer 2012 to 2013
- Secretary 2011 to 2012
- 2015 to 2016 Immediate past Chair
- Construction Law Section San Antonio Bar Association (Founding Chair)
Member of Banquet Committees for both the Quail Coalition and the Coastal Conservation Association
Served on the Veterans Initiative and is an active supporter and contributor to Folds of Honor and Magdalena House
Mr. Sommers is a devoted family man with his wife, Dana of over 40 years with two children and four grandsons. In his spare time, he loves to fish the coastal waters of the Texas Coast from Port Mansfield to Port O’Conner and serve in his church. Bill is a cradle Episcopalian and was commissioned as a Verger in the Episcopal Verger’s Guild in 2014 and regularly serves at St. David’s Episcopal Church in Terrill Hills. He has attended St. David’s since 1954 and served there as an Acolyte, Lay Reader, Lector, and a Verger. In December 2021, Bill was elected Chairman of the Verger’s Guild of the Diocese of West Texas.