About Allen M. DeBard
Allen is a shareholder in Langley & Banack’s bankruptcy and workouts section. In all representations, Allen focuses on the details of each case and the client’s goals. This allows him to map out a course for the case and anticipate potential issues before they arise. This detailed analysis and planning empowers his clients make informed and precise decisions and understand the risks and rewards early in the litigation process.
Allen’s diverse bankruptcy experience includes representation of debtors, lenders, creditor committees, asset purchasers, landlords and trustees. Over his decade of experience in the bankruptcy field, Allen has represented clients in many industries including healthcare, retail, energy, construction and real estate.
As a litigator, Allen regularly argues contested matters and trials in bankruptcy court over complex issues such as fraudulent transfers and preferences, disputes over executory contracts and unexpired leases and removal of debtors-in-possession. In addition to his bankruptcy practice, Allen maintains an active and substantial commercial litigation docket. Allen regularly litigates oil and gas, creditors’ rights, construction defect and property disputes in state and federal courts.
After graduating from law school, Allen served as briefing attorney to the Honorable Ronald B. King, Chief United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Texas. Allen also has experience working with a national law firm in the Washington, D.C. area where he practiced in the firm’s bankruptcy and creditors’ rights group. Allen has been recognized in local and statewide publications as a rising star attorney.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- Washington and Lee University, B.S., 2005
- Old Dominion Athletic Conference All-Academic Football Team
- The State of Texas, 2008
- The State of Maryland, 2016
- The State of Virginia, 2016 (Voluntarily Inactive)
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Rising Star, San Antonio Scene, 2019
- Texas Super Lawyers: Rising Star, Bankruptcy and Workouts, 2015 (published by Thomson Reuters)
- Texas Super Lawyers: Rising Star, Bankruptcy and Workouts, 2014 (published by Thomson Reuters)
- Texas Lawyer: “Appellate Lawyer of the Week,” December 16, 2013
- Risk Management Association, San Antonio Chapter (Board Member)
- Turnaround Management Association, Central Texas Chapter (Member)
- Hon. Larry E. Kelly Bankruptcy Inn of Court (Member)
- San Antonio Bankruptcy Bar Association (Member)
- San Antonio Bar Association (Member)
Cases & Publications
- Shavano Living: Protecting Your Small Business, September 2014
- Croft v. Lowry, et. al. (In re Croft), 737 F.3d 372 (5th Cir. 2013)
- Advanced Issues in Bankruptcy Practice,” Texas Advanced Paralegal Seminar- October 3, 2013, San Antonio, Texas
- “Behind the Scene: Law Clerk Panel,” Speaker, 27th Advanced Business Bankruptcy Seminar 2009, Houston, TX
In his free time, Allen enjoys spending time with his family. His interests include travel and outdoor activities.