About Dane Patrick
Dane Patrick has been engaged in commercial litigation since 1987 and is dedicated to protecting the rights of businesses, trustees, individuals and families. He prides himself on providing quality services that get results. Dane focuses on high-stakes litigation in matters involving business; trust and estate; construction; and personal injury disputes. He is rated AV-Preeminent (highest rating for legal ability and professional ethics) by his peers in Martindale-Hubbell, and is also the publisher and author of the law blog, The Texas Commercial Litigator.
The majority of Dane’s practice is devoted to the litigation and trial of unfair business practice and estate claims such as:
- breach of fiduciary duties by directors of corporations resulting in shareholder derivative actions;
- breach of fiduciary duties owed by trustees to trust beneficiaries and will contests;
- tortious interference with a contract;
- violations of noncompete and confidentiality agreements;
- theft of trade secrets by corporate competitors or former employees;
- business fraud;
- business disparagement, libel and slander.
These cases often involve large sums of compensatory and punitive damages as well as equitable relief by way of a temporary restraining order, temporary injunction or permanent injunction. Thus, it is important to retain experienced counsel in these matters.
- 1987 – Graduated and received his juris doctorate (J.D.) from Southern Methodist University School of Law where he was the Student Bar Association President.
- 1983 – Graduated and received his Batchelors of Arts degree in Economics from the Universtiy of Texas at Austin with special honors in Economics.
- Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- State Bar of Texas, 1987
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1988
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas, 1989
- AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in Business Litigation, San Antonio Scene magazine, 2006 and 2007
- Best Lawyers in Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Law, San Antonio Scene, 2006
- President, Student Bar Association at Southern Methodist University School of Law, 1987
- Former Chairman, San Antonio Chapter, United Shareholders Association, founded by T. Boone Pickens, 1988
- President, BNI Successful Entrepreneurs Chapter, 2016
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Litigation Section
- Antitrust and Business Litigation Section
- Insurance Law Section
- Construction Law Section
- Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association (ABA)
- Litigation Section
- Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- Commercial & Business Litigation Committee
- Trust and Estate Litigation Committee
- Technology for the Litigator Committee
- Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Committee
- Member, San Antonio Bar Association
- Board of Directors, San Antonio Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, San Antonio Chapter of the Independent Electrical Contractor’s Association
- Member, Association of General Contractors
Cases & Publications
- Author and Publisher, The Texas Commercial Litigation blog
- Author and Presenter, Nuts and Bolts of Subcontract and Insurance for Construction Projects, Independent Electrical Contractors National Convention, 2016
- Author and Presenter, Insurance, Indemnification and Bonds for Construction Projects, Fundamentals of Construction Law Course, July 2004
- Author, Choice of Business Entity, San Antonio Construction News, September 2003
- Author, Enforcing the Contractor’s Payment Rights, San Antonio Construction News, August 2003
- Author, Get Legal Advice about Injuries Due to Another’s Negligence, San Antonio Light, April 26, 1992
Dane is a San Antonio native. He is happily married and the proud father of two children. He spends most of his free time with his family. He also likes to fish, hunt, hike and engage in most outdoor activities.