About Sylvia A. Cardona
Ms. Cardona is a Shareholder in the San Antonio office of Langley & Banack, Inc. She has a broad litigation practice representing individuals and companies in both State and Federal Court proceedings. In her practice, Ms. Cardona handles disputes involving breach of contract, business torts, injunction litigation, real property rights, mineral rights, collection matters, deceptive trade practice, negligence claims, construction defects, personal injury, theft of trade secrets, and professional liability issues. Fluent in Spanish, Ms. Cardona also has experience in cross-border transactions. She serves as the chair of the Hospitality Law group at Langley & Banack, Inc. and represents restaurateurs in various business related matters.
Ms. Cardona serves as a leader in the community and bar associations. In 2008, she was named the First Latina President of a 24,000 member organization, the Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA). She also served as a Director of the State Bar of Texas (SBOT), representing District 10, Place 2 in 2010-2013. In that capacity, she was a board advisor to the SBOT Judicial Section Committee and alternate board advisor to the SBOT Standing Committee on Court Rules. Ms. Cardona served on the SBOT Bar Journal Board of Directors in 2008 and 2012. She actively participates in various SBOT committees and sections, including the Continuing Legal Education Committee, the Local Bar Services Committee, the Texas Minority Counsel Program Committee and the Corporate Council Section. Ms. Cardona was co-chair of the SBOT Annual Meeting Committee in 2010-2011. She is a former Chair of the Litigation Section of the San Antonio Bar Association, a fellow of both the San Antonio and Texas Bar Foundations, and a member of the Texas Supreme Court Historical Society. Ms. Cardona serves as a speaker at several Continuing Legal Education programs, state-wide and local. She is currently the Chair of the SBOT Corporate Counsel Section Council, a board member of the San Antonio Restaurant Association and a member of the American Red Cross Planned Giving Advisory Committee (San Antonio).
As part of her many volunteer efforts, Ms. Cardona enjoys speaking to elementary, middle and high school students about the importance of an education and the importance of voting. Her service to the community has been featured in numerous publications and media, including the San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Woman, Univision/Dallas, KSAT 12, La Prensa, San Antonio’s only bilingual newspaper, and KENS TV’s Texas Spirit Campaign.
Ms. Cardona was named a rising star in the legal community by the San Antonio Business Journal receiving the 40 Under 40 award in 2004 and has been consistently recognized by her peers for her litigation experience in both Thomson Reuters’ Texas Super Lawyer Rising Stars (2009 – 2014) and Texas Super Lawyers (2014 and 2016).
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M. in International and Comparative Law, 2002
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, J.D., 2001
- Order of Barristers
- Academic Achievement Award/AmJur in Appellate Advocacy
- Semi-Finalist, A.T.L.A. Trial Team Competition
- Speaker Award, 6th Place, Jessup International Moot Court Competition
- Speaker Award, 10th Place of 204, Intrascholastic Moot Court Competition
- Member, National Moot Court Competition
- President, Hispanic Law Student Association
- University of Texas at San Antonio, B.A., 1998
- Major: Political Science
- Major: Mexican American Studies
- The State of Texas, 2001
- Supreme Court of Texas, 2001
- United States Supreme Court, 2005
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2018
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas, 2004
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, 2010
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas, 2011
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2016
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2014, 2016-2018
- Presented the Special Achievement Award by the San Antonio Restaurant Association, 2014
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer “Rising Star” in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters, 2009- 2014
- Presented the Constellation of Stars “Rising Star Award” by the San Antonio Women’s Chamber of Commerce, 2013
- Selected as the Belva Lockwood Outstanding Lawyer by the Bexar County Women’s Bar Foundation, 2012
- Awarded a State Bar of Texas Presidential Citation, 2011
- Received La Prensa’s “Outstanding Women in Action” Legal Award, 2008
- Recognized as one of Muscular Dystrophy Association’s “Legal Leaders,” 2008
- President of the 24,000-member organization, the TYLA, 2008-2009
- Received the TYLA President’s Award of Merit for Service to the Public and the Bar, 2007
- Named a Rising Star (40 under 40) by the San Antonio Business Journal, 2004
See biography above.