About Bruce E. Toppin, III
Mr. Toppin’s practice concentrates on representing banks, thrifts and other financial institutions on corporate and regulatory matters, such as mergers, acquisitions, securities offerings, holding company formations, Subchapter S conversions, corporate governance, de novo charters, enforcement actions, regulatory applications and other related matters. Mr. Toppin counsels financial institution directors, officers and shareholders in the areas of ownership succession, executive compensation and enforcement actions. He also has extensive experience representing both lenders and borrowers in a broad range of secured and unsecured debt financings, including, term loans, lines of credit, government guaranteed loans, loan participations, modifications, renewals and assumptions.
Mr. Toppin is a frequent speaker and author on a wide variety of topics relating to corporate, bank regulatory and securities matters.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D.
- Texas Tech University, B.B.A.
- State of Texas
- Best Lawyers in San Antonio, Business and Corporate, S.A. Scene magazine (2014, 2017)
- American Bar Association, Banking Law Committee
- Texas Bankers Association
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- Independent Bankers Association of Texas
- IBAT Leadership Division
- YMCA of Greater San Antonio, Board of Directors
Cases & Publications
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker – “Strategies for Succession Planning in Closely-Held Community Banks” Texas Bankers Association Legal Conference, April 2016
- Dividend Reinvestment Plans for Community Banks, The Texas Independent Banker Magazine (June/July 2015)
- Speaker – “Strategic Opportunities in Wealth Management for Community Banks” Texas Bankers Association Legal Conference, April 2014
- Wealth Management Solutions for Rural Community Banks, The Texas Independent Banker Magazine (July/August 2013)
- Speaker – “Basel III: Where do We Go from Here?” Texas Bankers Association Legal Conference, April, 2013
- Speaker – “Basel III: Will it Really Affect My Bank?” Independent Bankers Association of Texas Annual Convention, October 2012
- Changes Loom for Banking Institutions, Texas Lawyer (August 6, 2012)
- Speaker – “Capital Planning Strategies for Subchapter S Financial Institutions,” Subchapter S Bank Association Regional Conferences, April, June 2011
- Speaker – “Legislative Developments,” Subchapter S Bank Association Annual Convention, November 2010
- Speaker – “My Slice of the Stimulus: The New Markets Tax Credit Program,” Independent Bankers Association of Texas Annual Convention, September 2010
- Subchapter S Banks Victorious in TEFRA Appeal, The Texas Independent Banker Magazine (March/April 2010)
- Speaker – “Legal Panel,” Independent Bankers Association of Texas Annual Convention, October 2009
- The Path of Least Resistance: The Effects of Groundwater Law’s Failure to Evolve with Changing Times, 38 St. Mary’s L.J. 503 (2007)