Stephen E. Walraven
Mr. Walraven graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from the University of Texas in 1973, graduating summa cum laude. Steve obtained his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Texas in 1975, where he was Associate Editor of the Texas International Law Journal, and a member of the Phi Alpha Delta fraternity.
State of Texas, 1975
United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, 1977
United States District Court, Western District of Texas, 1977
United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1977
United States District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1981
United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1983
United States Supreme Court, 1986
About Stephen E. Walraven
Stephen E. Walraven has been practicing as a trial lawyer in San Antonio and South Texas since 1975. He has successfully handled a variety of commercial lawsuits, including contract disputes, construction claims, negligence suits, and in particular insurance disputes. The major portion of his practice is devoted to handling insurance disputes. These lawsuits include disputes between policyholders and their insurance carriers, between two or more insurance carriers, between primary and excess carriers, among insurance carriers and their reinsurers and claims by or against insurance agents and brokers. Mr. Walraven has represented these parties in disputes in arbitration, jury trials, and throughout the appellate court system. This practice also frequently involves claims of insurance bad faith and various statutory claims under the applicable Insurance Codes. Mr. Walraven has litigated disputes involving liability policies, property policies, inland marine coverages, directors and officers’ policies, various errors and omissions coverages, excess and umbrella policies, farm and ranch policies, fidelity bonds, and both facultative and treaty reinsurance.
- Mr. Walraven was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi honorary societies
- American Bar Association
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Insurance Law Council
- State Bar of Texas: Immediate Past Chair, 2014-2015; Chair, 2013-2014; Chair Elect 2012-2013; Secretary 2011-2012; Treasurer 2010-2011, Council member 2003 to present
- Council Member, 2003-present
Cases & Publications
- Co-Author, 14th Annual Advanced Civil Trial Course: Insurance Coverage in Business Litigation
- Co-Author, 1998 DRI Young Lawyers Seminar, San Antonio, Texas: Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith: The Past, Present and Future of Experts in Bad Faith Litigation
- Co-Author/Speaker, 1999 Fourth Annual Insurance Law Institute, Dallas, Texas – University of Texas School of Law: Qualifying and Disqualifying Insurance Experts
- Co-Author/Speaker, 2000 Fifth Annual Insurance Law Institute – University of Texas School of Law, San Antonio, Texas: Foundation Claims, Commercial Policies
- Panel Speaker, Insurance Section Meeting, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, June, 2001, Litigating Declaratory Judgment Actions
- Author/Speaker, Insurance Law Telephone Seminar Series – Emerging Third Party Liability Issues, Insurance Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, and The Texas Institute of Continuing Legal Education, May 18, 2004: Can a Claimant Be a Party to the Coverage Declaratory Judgment Action? and The Late Notice Defense and the Requirement of Prejudice
- Speaker, State Bar of Texas, Insurance Law Section CLE Meeting: Legislative Update and Recent Insurance Cases (June 23, 2005)
- Speaker, 21st Annual Advanced Personal Injury Law Course, 2005: Insurance and Coverage – Do We All Need to Become Coverage Lawyers?
- Speaker, 22nd Annual Advanced Personal Injury Law Course, 2006: Insurance and Coverage – Getting a Slice of a Shrinking Pie
- Author/Speaker, 11th Annual Insurance Law Institute, University of Texas School of Law, December, 2006: Additional Insurance – What Can You
Mr. Walraven was born in Dallas, Texas on February 10, 1952. He is married, and they have three sons.